Consumer Safety – Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas created when fossil fuels are not burned completely. Causes of CO-related incidents can include blocked furnace/boiler vents and chimneys or improperly adjusted or inadequately maintained appliances.

Warning signs of CO in your home can include stuffy, stale air; condensation on windows; back drafts from a fireplace, furnace or water- heating chimney; yellow burner flames (except from natural gas fireplaces or logs); or burner flames or pilot lights that flutter or keep going out. Soot – or lingering pungent odors around appliances are other warning signs.

If you notice any of these, turn off the equipment immediately and introduce fresh air to the building. Call a qualified, licensed natural gas contractor to inspect the equipment as soon as possible.

As a preventative measure, Eagle County and the Town of Vail recommends that homeowners have carbon monoxide detectors installed in their homes within 15’ of every sleeping area.  Our company is qualified to install the devices for you.  Call us at 970-827-5736  if you’d like assistance.

Physical symptoms of CO poisoning can include dizziness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, headaches, ringing in the ears, blurred vision, stinging eyes and fainting. If you experience these symptoms and suspect CO, seek fresh air by leaving the building immediately. Call 911 from a neighbor’s house.